1780s stays

I made these in May (I think) 2010, because I wanted to make a 1780s dress and my 1770s stays simply would not do! I'm one of those people when it comes to the 18th century...and I kind of like making stays!

They're from the 1780 stays pattern in Norah Waugh's Corsets and Crinolines, and are boned with cable ties. Construction: the ties were sandwiched between two layers of cotton canvas, and then that interlining had the green dupioni outer layer placed on top, the eyelets were (hand) sewn, the edges bound in pink shantung, and the green linen lining was sewn in last.

 

I like the fit of these stays; the difference in shape between these and my 1770s stays is subtle, but it's there. These give a rounder shape. I did make these too long at the front and back points. They could stand to be an inch shorter at least, but it's not too big a deal. Doesn't make them uncomfortable or anything, anyway.

Comments

  1. My 1770s stays are about the same length as yours. That's what I love about full skirts--the extra length is totally hidden!

    The extra length doesn't get in the way at all.

    These are very pretty! And I love your color choices :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! Those fabrics were all out of the scrap bin, so I was very pleased they worked together so well!

    And it's rather reassuring to hear I'm not the only one with long stays... :D

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment