1961 Flamingo Dress - B6318
A post in 2020?! Be still, my beating heart.
(Like many people, I've been finding it hard to be productively creative this year! I've started a ton of sewing projects, but finished very few, and even less that's worth blogging about. This was a very simple dress, but it is also a Done Dress, so it gets a blog post.)
Butterick 6318, from their Retro collection, natch. Couldn't tell you if it's still in print at the moment, especially since the overarching company switched all their patterns over to the cloying "somethingdelightful.com" (are you in fact serious)...but it's a nice easy pattern, and I recommend! I in fact picked it because it only had like four pieces, ahem.
So - the bodice seams are flat-felled by hand, as is the one skirt seam (benefit of a border print!), I didn't trim the darts, and the waist seam is covered in twill tape and tacked to the seam allowance. I do like to nicely finish my vintage dresses, it makes them more durable - but this one didn't really give me a choice! I also ignored the neck facing (facings are stupid, I have discovered), and just finished both the sleeves and neckline with white cotton strips of bias.
You may also notice in that IG post that the sash "tails" aren't the flamingo border all the way to the end! I had about a yard over the recommended yardage for the dress - but the flamingo border was only on one selvedge, so I just ran out of lines of flamingos...and the tails of the sash was really the only place I could compromise on that! It's fine; noticeable but only if you know what you're looking for. Otherwise it's a busy enough print that I'm not fussed about it.local tea house (will definitely order again; they had EXCELLENT food), and plopped on my front lawn to enjoy the unseasonably-gorgeous weather, undoubtedly to the amusement of many passers-by.
Robin of SewLoud made a new skirt. She will never post about it so I'm including it here for her. ;)