Gainsborough Princesse dress finished

 I'm going to be wearing this next weekend for my Birthday Outing, but I'll be wearing a coat over it then (because the forecast is Very Cold! I still need to make said coat...), so I wanted to get photos of it today.

I'm pretty pleased with it! It's fun to wear - anything with a train is fun to swan around in, really. (And it's already filthy.) There are some wrinklies around the shoulders, and I really should have padded the front shoulder-to-bust to smooth it out. I'll fall back on my old I'm-so-not-a-tailor protest there.

And it's warm! I was toddling around Haddonfield in 38F weather this afternoon to get pictures, and I was pretty happy! I'll be even happier when I locate my fur-lined gloves for next weekend. I do love wool. Winter clothes are the best clothes! Historical or otherwise.

I got a ton of pictures (see aforementioned swanning: fun), so here you go.

Wheee! Breezy today!
I had to chase some nasty Canadian geese out of my way in the cemetery. They're menaces.
The cemetery seemed like a suitably dramatic setting...I got a lot of pictures there. And can't choose between them, sorry.
Haha. MAYBE WE'RE RELATED!
Sorry for all the back shots, I just love that I have something of a figure in this outfit! So much padding...
I found some leftover snow! I should probably stand in it so my hem gets dirtier. This is a solid plan.
I didn't just perch myself on someone's porch...well, I did, but it's a business-closed-on-Sundays, so I think it doesn't count.
The breeze strikes again! Fwoosh!
Coming to visit! Heh. All the dog-walking passers-by thought I was absolutely bonkers.
And a quick recap of materials &tc.
Skirt: striped grey-and-raspberry silk taffeta on a polished cotton base
Dress: waistcoat of pink silk shantung, dress of lightweight wool suiting, all lined in polished cotton. Hem is faced in black poly taffeta. (For purposes of destruction. I don't care what happens to that taffeta!)

Based on the Truly Victorian tea gown pattern, with some obvious modifications!

Everything is stash, including the hat materials (the hat is from a TV pattern as well). The veil is just a bit of silk gauze that still, uh, needs to be hemmed. Eventually...

Bangs are really integral to a fashionable Natural Form style, but faked ones are so doofy-looking! I need to pin them up better next time...and thank goodness for hats, really. (They are my hair, but I haven't had bangs for approximately five years, so my front hair's waved and pinned back. Which is more annoying...faking bangs like this, or trying to get real bangs to stay back in an 18thc pouf style? Right...that's why I grew out my bangs.)
Look at that filthy train. And I haven't even officially worn it yet. Looking forward to it though!

Comments

  1. Squee! It's so pretty! I loooooooooooove the colour of that wool. (I would totally come dress up if I was local. It's around -4F up here, 20ishF seems almost tropical!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And oooh, okay, you've got us beaten, haha, that's REALLY winter! I might add another layer if it got that cold. ;)

      Delete
    2. One of these days I'm going to experiment with flannel drawers and ALL of the layers :D I think it'll be warmer than normal clothes. Once I get around to making them, that is. Maybe next year :3

      Delete
  2. Wow, so elegant!!! You look so aristocratic as you are sitting there:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's way too gorgeous! Wow, flawless! And the train <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Who doesn't love a good train? :D

      Delete
  4. Its werry beutyful dress, and the train too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely coat. As a Canadian I have to support our lovely goose and say they are wonderful beasts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And I will admit they have lovely plumage, but other than that, you're very welcome to having them back, haha!

      Delete
  6. Gorgeous! I love that ruched skirt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Me too - I suspect eventually I'll make another dress to go over it, because it's a great skirt!

      Delete

Post a Comment