|No, that isn't coming off. It's hardly visible on the outside, though.|
As I said, it's made from an Ikea duvet cover! King-size, as this particular design only had the floral print on the front of the cover (striped on the back). Just enough! I ended up piecing the hem of the gown as I decided I wanted a train, but it's not very visible with the pattern. All hand-sewn "in the usual 18thc manner" (I have other posts with a bit more detail on that), as per usual.
The fluffy gathered trim is silk organza from Dharma Trading. I decided to live dangerously and not hem any of it, as it's all ripped straight across the grain. It doesn't do too badly when the skirt's looped up, but collected quite a few leaves and twigs in the park when I let it down... The silk trim on top of the organza is just strips of taffeta, with the raw edges folded in, and messily twisted and tacked down. It's dark green shot with navy (scraps from my New Castle 1840 bonnet, actually!). I made a few bows from light pink taffeta fabric scraps and just pinned them on where I thought they'd look nice - or silly. I looped up the back of the skirts with loops of ribbon and (terribly ineffective) buttons; at some point I'll probably replace them with buttons with a shank that might actually hang onto the ribbons! They had to be pinned in place as they kept unlooping themselves on Saturday.
The mitts are made from ivory silk taffeta, lined in white cotton, and the points are faced with a tiny, tiny scrap of seafoam-green shantung (this is why I hoard scraps. Also, thanks Alice, for finishing my second mitt!). The tucker and sleeve ruffles are a matching set made of of silk/cotton batiste; they're pleated to cotton twill tapes and roughly basted in, so they can be worn with other outfits. And the cap is silk organza, trimmed with strips of china silk!
Everything is my own pattern; I redrew the side-back seamlines on my standard 1770s bodice pattern, and enlarged my basic cap pieces rather arbitrarily. Yay for being very well set for the last quarter of the 18thc! The basic dress and petticoat took maybe a week and a half, but the gathered trim took a lot longer, as I kept getting unutterably bored with gathering!
A few in-progress shots. I didn't take very many, as construction was nothing unusual! It's a very basic anglaise.
this CW post by Abby Cox a read!)