Originally 18th Century Big Hats said 1780s to me, but after careful consideration of costs and time, I decided to go with my old standby, 1770s, instead. I'm not much of a frou-frou kind of girl in general, but for some reason I make an exception for those ridiculous 1770s meringue-like confections! (Jenny La Fleur's pinterest boards have been invaluable to me...she's so well-organized!) Not to mention I had a perfect 18thc cotton print in the stash.
A fluffy "shepherdess" hat requires much less engineering than a big 1780s hat, so this one took me comparatively little time! I got it mostly covered in one evening. It's a straw base that's made from a cheap straw hat I took apart for the braid and resewed YEARS ago. Originally I'd covered it in, um, polyester shantung. Thankfully that never actually saw the light of day, and it was simple to rip that off and recover it with a mostly-cotton moire scrap from the stash.
|Not quite there yet|
|Never! No such thing!|