Monday, June 22, 2015

Regency sewing

So, this week I worked on Regency Tall Ships Things, unsurprisingly. Not much worth taking pictures of, which will make for a boring post, sorry. I'll make it up to you next week!

First off, I finished shaping my first-ever straw form...which I'm promptly handing off to Robin, who doesn't mind taking my experiments off my hands! It's a little wilty this time, but it's not bad enough to put me off straw forms forever! ;)

Although, I did end up buying a new roll of buckram. I was considering a straw for myself, but I'm familiar enough with buckram forms that it'll be quicker and easier to make a new buckram bonnet for Tall Ships instead! I got a nice bit of that put together yesterday; sewed the pieces together, got all the mulling put on, and started covering it in red satin. I think it's going to be quite nice.

A red bonnet and a red spencer! The body of the spencer's put together, so all I need to do is sleeves, trim, and fastenings. I didn't want to make the collar very heavy compared to the spencer (it's linen), so I used two layers of silk organza rather than the canvas I normally would. Wasn't entirely certain it would work as nicely, but it definitely does! I do love pad stitching.

No comments:

Post a Comment