1913-15 suit

Mentally I've already moved on to the next (Regency) event, so it feels a bit disruptive to go back to the 20thc, even if it was only a few days ago! So you get a quickie post without too much narration.

(All photos in this post are courtesy of In the Long Run, unless otherwise noted.)

This past Saturday, I went to the Winterthur estate in Wilmington, Delaware to see their Downton Abbey costume exhibit. Here's our group shot - there were quite a lot of us this time!

It was a most enjoyable exhibit, and I highly recommend it if you like Downton, film costumes, or costume history even the least bit! We picnicked on the lawn afterwards, and then walked the grounds for a few hours - it's a really beautiful place.
As you can see, I did in fact finish my outfit in time! It's not the best thing I've ever done, especially the jacket...but it's not terrible either, and it's a lot of fun to wear!

Pretty comfortable, too. No, really!

Except for sitting on lawns.
And I did not dream up my mad hat on my own! Hilariously bizarre, vertically inclined hats were all the rage c1913-15; check it out! It did make me very visible to my friends while in a crowd...also got stared at a lot. Without the hat and jacket it's not too batty an outfit, but with that hat...
The skirt's got about a 50" hem, placing it squarely in the "hobble skirt" category! The length of that stride you see right there was about as long as it could get. Sounds horrid, but it wasn't too bad! I actually enjoyed experiencing exactly how much I'd have to modify my behavior to fit my clothes...though I admit it's not something I'd want to start wearing every day!





Skirt: heathered blue wool suiting, unlined, Simplicity modern skirt pattern heavily altered by me
Blouse: blue rayon print, based on modern (and heinously ugly) McCall blouse pattern
Jacket: heathered blue wool suiting with dark brown cotton velveteen trim, lined in bronze silk dupioni, based on modern Butterick jacket pattern
Hat: cut down from an Amazon wool felt floppy-brimmed hat, bound in silk, trimmed with silk scraps, peacock and rooster feathers

Comments

  1. I quite like the outfit sans jacket, You could completely wear that to a chic business meeting and knock their socks off. Bravo you made something I like from an era I don't! Gold star! You as always are chic, gorgeous and I want to steal your clothes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, m'dear! (Damn you Blogger, eating my comment notifications! *shakes fist*) Hehe, if only I had the opportunity to attend a chic business meeting...think I could wear it to Joann's instead? xD

      Delete

Post a Comment