Deemed the rainbow trout dress, because it's pink and green shot, you see. And trimmed with salmon taffeta bows and sash, in keeping with the fishy theme. ;)
|This particular shot got an instagram filter later; I think it came out very nicely!|
|Puttin' on my new slippers.|
Construction: Main seams sewn on the machine, gathering and finishing stitches done by hand. I used the same lining pattern as for my green lawn dress, and just draped the voile over it til I got something I liked. I was probably mostly inspired by this fashion plate, though I did a lot of digging through 1830s on Pinterest and took aspects from quite a few other plates too.
|You see a lot of the horizontal trim-band in 1832, which is the date of this plate.|
|Climbing on fences, because I can.|
|The usual suspects. Somewhat melty toward the end of the night!|
|Running is infinitely more fun in costume. I never do it in real life!|
The dance itself was quite small, but fun. I always enjoy a good dance, although I don't dance enough to remember anything from event to event, and I'm a truly incompetent waltzer! The original plan was for an out-of-doors dance on the village green, but the rainy forecast drove the event indoors, sadly, into a small, not-ideally-shaped space. Still very enjoyable, though.
And we mustn't forget the new slippers, as I finished them the day before! They're my third pair of 19thc simple slippers, and I've made some tweaks to the pattern since I used it for Gettysburg - mostly to make them narrower. One doesn't want dancing slippers to be too tight, but comfortably snug is good! I think there's still some fussing I could do with the length of the toe, but I was very happy with these.
|Switching out my street flats for my slippers. Robin put an artistic filter on this one too; I think it looks very dreamily Romantic!|
|You can see the shape of the soles here - they're both the same shape, no lefts or rights.|
(They're not actually arsenic-dyed, I shouldn't have to say, but I will, just in case.)
And there's a linen-covered cardboard sole pasted in, mostly to cover the raw edges rather than provide any real substance to the slipper. It's more akin to a stiff poster-board than anything else. The binding is silk satin ribbon, as are the ties. All hand sewn, as usual. (I could use a machine to sew the uppers, as the seams get covered in ribbon anyway, but I wouldn't trust the machine to attach the soles to the uppers.)
And they held up very well, although I didn't get a picture of my soles after dancing. No holes, no tears - they'll be perfectly serviceable for New Castle!
Next up: underpinnings, which I really do promise to post about this week. Really really.