And then last Sunday I got a bee in my bonnet (ha. ha. ha) to make a dress to go with my pretty pink bonnet! Something quick and lightweight, ideally a sheer. I didn't have much in the Stash; my options basically were a light blue voile and a mint green lawn (the same lawn I made my 1920s summer dress from, as it happens). There was just about the same amount of each, just over 4 yards...but the lawn was wider, so it carried the day!
Construction: Probably 90% machine sewn! The bodice gathers and sleeve ruffle gathers are done by hand, all the rest of the gathering is ugly machine. Basically, the finishings are done by hand (tacking down the piping at the neckline, hemming the skirt), everything else is machined. I even pinked the edge of the sleeve ruffle rather than hemming! The lawn seems to be tightly woven enough to survive at least a few wearings like that.
|The mitts are from my 18thc pattern, made slightly smaller to account for more stretch in the net. Made of plain cotton net and probably-cotton lace, hand-sewn.|
|It gaps more while spinning around ridiculously, LOL.|
|Promise I wasn't as cranky as this pic makes me look. ;)|
|Lesson: it is virtually impossible to get the inner brim of a bonnet smooth when said bonnet is the size of a small spaceship! At least for me, haha.|
|...despite doing things like this. xD|