Monday, October 20, 2014

Mourning gown bodice

This past week I've managed to finish the bodice of the 1816 mourning gown, apart from the one line of trim that goes under the bust, which will wait til after I put the skirt on.

They're not great pictures, since I took them tonight, and indoors with an all-black dress doesn't work very well...but here's what it looks like so far.


The base bodice and sleeves are made of a soft silk taffeta, bodice lined in linen/cotton blend (sleeves unlined), bodice covered with messily pleated silk organza, and trimmed with more of the silk organza.

And here are a few pics illustrating the covering of the bodice pieces with organza - I covered them before sewing them together (apart from the side-back & back, which I did sew together first).
Back pieces sewn together...
...covered in organza...
...and organza stitched down and trimmed off! Simple really.

2 comments:

  1. OH what fun!! This is going to look so great when you are done!! Can't wait to see it on you!
    Blessings!
    Gina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Hopefully I'll manage to get some pics of the dress outside, so it doesn't look quite so much like a black blab, haha!

      Delete