First, the spencer.
I orignally had lots of elaborate plans for a pelisse, but I ended up scaling them down, since both options would have either required too much time, or more money spent on supplies than I wanted. So, after lots of hemming and hawing and looking at plates and extant spencers, I decided to make something inspired by a black spencer in the collection of the KCI:
|Black spencer, c.1815, Kyoto Costume Institute|
Well, I did have to buy button forms. Or, rather, "button forms." They're actually furniture buttons from Joann's unfinished wood section. Hey, a bag of 100 for like five bucks? Not bad. They aren't perfect, but for non-functional buttons they're perfectly adequate!
|Furniture buttons. LOL.|
|The fabric I had to work with. Can I get a spencer out of it? Sure!|
|Hoory, it's wearable! And it's only Thursday!|
Now, a couple details of the spencer splat on the floor.
|Terrifyingly green! But all those nasty fraying dupioni edges are safely tucked away.|
|Delightfully wobbly trim.|
|Braid on the cuffs. I'm pretty sure they don't quite match.|
|I HATE MAKING THREAD BARS. But they look so much better than the metal when it's not an edge-to-edge closure...|
|The first time I've done pad stitching, actually. It doesn't look so great (because you can SEE it...I was in a hurry), but it really is as good as people claim! Worth the time.|
|And those goofy buttons. I very nearly didn't put them on, but finally decided buttons were more important than sleep.|