Currently in the works is a sheer dress, based on a fashion plate from 1862. (The one on the left is mine, though my hat's based on the other two.)
(And I did buy 40 yards of blue silk ribbon to trim it with, but we won't discuss that either.)
I've been diddling away my time; I've had ages to work on this dress, but now that the event is looming (on the 20th), I've belatedly realized that flounces take FOREVER and that I really need to get cracking!
I made the bodice first, which wasn't too bad after I dedicated a few hours to really fitting a mockup. Some pictures of the in-progress bodice...
|The low-necked lining is plain white muslin|
|Clown collars are a good look|
|Tacked down, it looks much more acceptable! Sheer silk/cotton to fill in the neckline|
|And the back, with the organdy layer in the process of being attached. The organdy is gathered, while the lining is darted|
Lining layer has short sleeves in muslin, attached to long sleeves of the silk/cotton. The organdy sleeves are just big rectangles gathered to fit.
|I find organdy hilarious|
|And the bodice as it stands now, except that I added lace at the cuffs and the elbow gathered bit|
The skirt is a skirt - if a terrifyingly large one - so, you know, not much discussion of that. I spent hours and hours today working on Just One Flounce, and it's not even a particularly nice flounce.
|Just...a really long one. That's my twelve-yard flounce all sewn together, before being gathered to the skirt|
|So....much...flounce. That's the half-attached skirt facing hanging down, if you were wondering. I'm sure you weren't|
OH and I almost forgot The Hat! It's a Stupid Hat...that's a dodgy little bow. I mean really.
Hat's a thrift store find, and the plaid silk and the lace are from the Stash. I didn't really enjoy hemming that silk, natch, but it's really fray-happy dupioni (from the scrap bin) so I had to.