New Regency dress

Well, all right, that was probably the shortest sewing hiatus in the history of...ever. I really did think it was going to be longer!

Anyway, Madame Modiste gave a Regency-themed tea for the 200th anniversary of the publication of Pride & Prejudice, which was yesterday, and I needed a new dress! Well, "needed." I've been itching to expand my Regency-era wardrobe, and this was a good excuse.

I thought the fabric looked just like something out of the 1995 P&P movie, so I called it the Lizzie Bennett dress. :)

block print Regency gown 1

It came out rather well, though I want to do some sleeve-fixin's before I wear it again - there's too much fabric at the front of the sleeve. And I want to make some long detachable sleeves, too. And a new bonnet! But it held up quite well for a first wearing.

block print Regency gown 2
block print Regency gown 3
Construction of this one is super-basic, just another drop-front dress. I tweaked my basic Regency bodice pattern a little to make the back smaller, but other than that it's pretty much the exact same thing as the spotted sari dress and the navy wool jumper!

It's hand-sewn with silk thread - I'd usually use cotton on cotton fabric, but I didn't have cotton thread to match the fabric, and I had silk, so...silk it was.

The fabric is a block printed cotton, from Heritage Trading on ebay. The bodice and sleeves are lined in white cotton, and the skirt is unlined (which is why you can see the line where my petticoat ends! I should make a longer petticoat...or not).

And yes, my shift sleeves were apparently showing all day...

A couple more photos, from Madame Modiste and SewLoud
Regency tea
block print Regency gown 4
block print Regency gown 5
Regency tea 2
Regency tea 3
Regency tea 4
Aren't we a lovely company?

Comments

  1. Ah, your new dress is so pretty! But I adore you hat! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was just a cut-down-and-reshaped cheap craft store hat, but it looks pretty good for the amount of effort that went into it! ;)

      Delete
  2. I LOVE the way this dress turned out - it's so charming!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You looked awesome. I love that print.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It really was just perfect for a Regency dress.

      Delete
  4. Very pretty! I really like that print.
    -EMily

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I needed that fabric like I needed a hole in the head, but it was so Regency-perfect I couldn't resist!

      Delete
    2. I know what you mean about "needing" more fabric!! Lol!
      BTW, I've nominated you for the Liebster Blog Award! Enjoy. http://vintagevisions27.blogspot.com/2013/05/liebster-blog-award.html
      -Emily

      Delete

Post a Comment