Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Cranberry wool 1770 gown

A blog! This is a thing I have! Right!

 Started this gown a year ago, actually, and finally finished it to wear to a couple of candlelit house tours in the Philadelphia area a couple weeks back.
Bonus "ghost" in the background!
That first was taken at the Peter Wentz Farmstead, the rest at Pottgrove Manor a week later. (Except for the inside-bodice shot, which I took right after I finished the dress!)





Made of mid-weight plain weave cranberry colored wool, bodice lined in natural colored linen, hand-sewn with silk thread.

I'm not 100% pleased with the sleeves' fit, but sleeves are my Achilles heel! Still learning...

And I am pleased with how the back pleats came out.

4 comments:

  1. The gown is gorgeous and beautifully made. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This gown really is lovely! Is there a pattern you used for it, or did you just recreate it visually? (I'm self teaching, and i really don't think I could make something like that without a pattern...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      And, er, yes, it's just completely made up! That is, I draped it on my dummy (she's not perfect, but close enough to my shape for it to work!), and tweaked the fit on myself. That's how I like to do all my pre-Victorian gowns; they're just so fitted to the wearer that I've never found it worth my while to muck around with commercial patterns as there'll be so much adjustment anyway!

      I'm self-taught, too...I just started draping because I didn't know it was supposed to be So Hard until after I'd pretty well figured out the basics! ;) It's actually not bad at all.

      Delete