I've made the Simplicity 8250 skirt before, out of plain-weave navy blue wool blend, so I knew I liked it, and something easy that I knew I like was just what I needed for this project, after the other frustrating plaid dress. Plaid does like to throw you curve balls, though, and I found I couldn't quite match up some of the seams...because the fabric wasn't woven evenly. For instance, no matter how hard I tried, no matter how much I steamed and stretched the fabric, I could not manage to cut out the pocket pieces so the plaids matched exactly.
I was working with far less fabric than the pattern called for - my usual method is to pick out a piece of fabric from the stash and then see if the pattern will fit on it, not the other way round! Plus I was feeling very casual about plaid-matching for this project anyway, so I only matched plaids going one way, not both. I.e. the CF plaids line up horizontally but not vertically, and at the side seams, the horizontal red lines match up, but nothing else does.
|The back center appears to have gotten scudged over upon wearing. It is in fact even when the bolero's not on me...|
WKD red-seamed stockings, black heels, and a slightly fluffier petticoat.